When syncing Lara's iPhone I received this error "iPhone could not be updated. An unkown error occurred (1602)" and iTunes wouldn't sync the phone.
A quick google brought up this article on the apple web page (link). This page directed me to completely remove and re-install iTunes. I didn't like the sound of that. So, another google search found this page (link) . This blog gives much better news. All I had to do was connect the phone to a different USB port. This worked like a champ. I then switched back to the original USB port and it still worked, no fuss no muss.
So much for apple's guidance. The lesson learned is to research of a couple different sources before doing anything drastic.